Monday, May 18, 2015

Baking little bits of delight

So my son seems to like to sleep in late. He wakes at the last minute, showers and runs out the door heading for work. I asked if I made food for him would he eat it rather than buy the nasty fast junk food he seems to eat and leave the wrappers in his car. He said he would, and since he is nice enough to allow me to live in his house, I guess I wouldn't mind making food for him. Even meat type stuff. So I made a simple whole wheat bread dough, same as I've done for many many times. 3 cups water, a half a vitamin C capsule, a quarter cup of plain greek yogurt, about three quarters cup of olive oil and I have been doing something new, I add a half cup of the liquid from my homestyle sourkraut. It has salt in it, plus all those wonderful bacteria. Then I turn the mixer on and mix a nice stiff dough with freshly ground whole wheat that I grind fresh when making bread. Hey, it's the only way to know what you're getting. I let is sit six hours, then add some yeast and a smidge of water. Let the yeast proof then mix it for ten minutes. Let it rise a couple times then it's ready.

I then beat a real pasture raised egg I get from my friend Richard at the farmers market. I beat them individually and fried them to make little flat cooked egg patties. Then cooked a package of breakfast sausages. This is what they looked like when done.






Then I took the dough and rolled it out on the counter and placed an egg, some sliced jalapeno jack and two of the sausages. And brought the edges together and sealed.




Then I put them on a baking sheet and let them rise, baked at 425 for 20 minutes turning once in the middle and voila, wondrous things for my son to eat as a quick breakfast.






No comments:

Post a Comment